Skip to content

Grove of the Domes

Accueil Grove of the Domes

Presentation

Frequently redesigned, this grove changed its name as its decoration changed. Created by Le Nôtre in 1675, the layout is amphitheatrical, with a hexagonal pool in the arena, surrounded by a gilded metal balustrade adorned with eighteen pillars, each of which casts a broth into the pool. On the upper level, another white marble balustrade with red marble pilasters, adorned with bas-reliefs, encircles the amphitheatre. At the center of the pool, a statue of La Renommée gives the grove its name. Between 1677 and 1681, Jules Hardouin-Mansart, whose first intervention in the gardens was here, built two richly decorated, domed pavilions on either side of the amphitheatre, demolished in 1820. Between 1684 and 1705, the grove was home to the three sculpted groups from the recently demolished Téthys grotto (Apollo served by nymphs and the two groups of Sun Horses), and was renamed the Apollo Baths grove. It then took on its definitive name of Grove of the Domes. In 1705, the balustrade over the pool was replaced by a new balustrade with white marble balusters and red marble handrails and pillars, making it a sort of negative of the upper railing. Finally, in 1708, the central fountain was replaced by a white marble pool supported by dolphins.

 

Water displays during the Musical Fountains Show

Morning :

No watering

Afternoon :

From 2:30 pm to 3:15 pm (45 min)
and from 4pm to 4:45pm (45 min).

 

→ In the event of a level 1 drought period, The Musical Fountains Show schedules will change to preserve water resources.

Morning :

No watering

Afternoon :

From 2:30 pm to 3 pm (30mn)
and from 4.15pm to 4.45pm (30mn)

 

→ In the event of a level 2 drought period, The Musical Fountains Show schedules change to preserve water resources.

Morning :

No watering

Afternoon :

From 2:30 pm to 2:45 pm (15mn)
and from 3:30 pm to 3:45 pm (15 min)

 

Newsletter

Don’t miss any event

Subscribe Subscribe