Skip to content

Chestnut Grove

Accueil Chestnut Grove

Presentation

The layout of the Chestnut Grove resembles a verdant gallery adorned with a fountain at each end. It replaced a grove designed by Le Nôtre in 1678: the Ancient gallery, where in 1680 Louis XIV ordered a remarkable collection of ancient sculptures or sculptures modelled on ancient sculptures to be positioned on pedestals rising out of the canal surrounding a central section with polychrome tiling. The extremities of this veritable open-air museum were enhanced with fountains. In 1704 Jules Hardouin-Mansart eliminated the fountains and the central island, replacing them with two rows of chestnut trees.

 

Newsletter

Don’t miss any event

Subscribe Subscribe